Monday, May 9, 2011

I've got some catching up to do...


Warning....sleeper post ahead. Long and boring. :)

I really haven't written much lately....so sorry! We sort of got lost in the sea of appointments to try and get a handle on Emma's allergies. Since I last posted, Emma has been definitively diagnosed with multiple, severe food allergies. I can't remember if I posted about the results of her skin testing, so pardon me please if this is a repeat for you.

Her skin testing showed allergies to dairy, soy and egg. No other allergies were found at this time, so we are very thankful for that. At the skin test appointment, after results were reviewed by the allergist, we were given paperwork and resources for support groups and online "help" websites like FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network). We discussed Epipens but the allergist felt as if Emma would always manifest allergic reactions as rashes, eczema and minor hives but would probably never have anything worse. Wrong. Fast forward exactly one week....and Emma woke up covered from eyelids down to her knees, front and back, in hives. She also had major gastrointestinal symptoms. I knew she was reacting but we had no clue to what, as we had been (and continue to be) extremely vigilant about her diet. I called the pediatrician and allergist, got instructions for oral meds, and was told to watch her until the afternoon. About an hour later, she started breathing strangely. It was as if she was having trouble swallowing-she was mouth breathing and grabbing/scratching at her mouth and throat. Long story short, she is okay but we made a trip to the ER and then saw the allergist again the next morning. Needless to say, he immediately prescribed her an Epipen. We had training on how to give it to her and what the plan is for any future reactions. Oh, and the cause of that reaction? She got a straw from a milkshake cup that had just enough dairy in it to send her into a reaction.

Which in turn, brought me to my next "life change". Prior to the allergy situation, and even prior to Emma coming home, I was a vegetarian. No meat, no fish, but I did eat/drink dairy products and egg products. When I realized that trace amounts of allergens could indeed be dangerous for Emma, that meant I needed to ditch the dairy! I am now a proud vegan-dairy free, egg free, meat free, fish free. I consume loads of soy products, but not around her. Soy is pretty much the only thing left for me to eat ;) Now I don't worry "what if she swipes my cup" or "what if I kiss her and it's enough to cause a reaction". Plus, it feels good to eliminate the mass amounts of cheese I was eating. I feel healthier and most importantly, I don't feel like I am a danger to my child. For milk, I drink Almond milk (which I LOVE), for yogurt I eat either coconut milk yogurt or almond milk yogurt, for cheese I am experimenting with some soy cheeses and some rice and bean based cheeses. I was never into butter so I just go without if it is something I used to eat with butter (like baked potatoes).

A few people have asked me about finalizing her adoption. We DO have a court date finally, June 3rd! We get to dress her all cute and go hear the judge officially declare us a family. It isn't really in open court, it will be more of a chambers hearing, but it is still very important to us! Once that is done, we can file for her social security number, passport and Certificate of Citizenship. The adoption finalization doesn't make her a citizen...it just makes her eligible to become one. So, on to more paperwork!

Emma is growing like a weed every day. She hasn't really gained weight in a few months but is growing tall! She is walking and running, loves the water, and loves to be outside. We spend some time outside almost daily, and she helped me plant lettuce and bok choy seeds in the garden this year :) We are also growing herbs, bell peppers and some yellow squash. Emma loves to go out and help me pick stuff, but sometimes she gets carried away and starts ripping seedlings out of the ground. She also has a new friend, Ty! He came home from Korea earlier this year, and we have had several playdates! (And "Mom" dates...it's as much for us as it is for them!) They play well together, in spite of Emma being somewhat of a bully sometimes. But she will learn as she plays more and more.

Here are some most recent pics!












1 comment:

Leah said...

Bless your hearts! :( But, sounds like you're doing an awesome job with her allergies! They are nothing to mess with, speaking from experience. I had food allergies when I was little. Now that I'm an adult I'm severely allergic to cats and a certain grass and tree (can't remember which!). Congrats on your court date! AND, so happy to hear you've connected with Melissa and Ty! What an awesome thing! :)