Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Breakdown on Aisle 3....

Today I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I spent some time on the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network's website last night. I read stories from other Moms about their kids allergies. Stories that encourage me and let me know that this CAN be managed....and also stories that scared me. I did get some great tips on traveling, eating out, skin care and substitutions. I also got a healthy dose of "this is serious". I know that we will feel better once we get some test results back, and see what else she might be allergic to, and perhaps get some idea of what CAN be introduced back into her diet safely. Right now I am on high alert. I am terrified to even push the grocery cart past the peanut aisle or to touch her if I touched cheese. There are apparently fragrance issues also. The testing will help determine for sure, but she broke out on her hands and face in the grocery store today, after I had vigilantly wiped down the cart seat and handles (to remove any potential allergens....what if some kid had eaten peanut butter and rubbed his hands on the cart??) and she broke out after touching where the citrus-scented wipe had been. Her fingers got red and blotchy and sort of swollen, and where she rubbed her face became red and weird looking. I was talking to one of the managers in the store who we have befriended, and she drew my attention to the reaction. I had just finished asking her if we could have rice waffles ordered....and I just started to cry again in the middle of the moisturizer aisle. In my efforts to prevent Emma from having a reaction, she had one to the wipe I used. The poor manager just hugged me. I felt like a nutcase.

I know we will figure it out. I know that it will become part of our routine. I know that we don't even have test results back yet, so some of the things I am avoiding may possibly be safe. I know that people cope with food allergies all the time and are okay. Most importantly, I know that God has this. He has this and He already has it handled. For that I am thankful. And for your encouragement, friends, I am oh-so grateful. :) Thank you

2 comments:

Leah said...

OH bless your heart Em! If I was in the store, I would have hugged you too! You will make it, little Em will be able to eat. It'll just take some time. So sorry you're having to deal with this. One step at a time, you can do this! Again, hugs to you mama. Your stress shows you are trying your absolute hardest to do what's best for her! :) Hang in there!

Brittany said...

Emily,

I found your blog today and I want you to know - I HAVE BEEN THERE! My son has food allergies to milk, eggs and peanuts. He was diagnosed at 10 months old, and he is now 3 1/2, so we've been on this road for a while now. It's a tough one, but it does get easier.

Layton had terrible eczema....and we did all the lotion regime too, but as soon as we eliminated all the allergens from his diet, he cleared up immediately. It was amazing. To this day, if he eats something he shouldn't, he breaks out.....

I just wanted to give some support from someone who has been there. I have some great recipes and books that I can send your way too:)

And......Emma is just precious!! Such a doll:)

By the way, one of my best friends' is adopting a little girl from Korea - they should be getting their travel call anyday now - we are all SO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brittany
brittanyrichey122@yahoo.com