Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tonight...




...I will go to sleep wondering what the morning will bring. I will likely dream of the beautiful country that has given us a daughter. Tonight, halfway around the world, my daughter's birth country is choosing to go forward with military drills that will "result in retaliation" from it's hostile neighbors to the north. Tonight, my daughter sleeps peacefully in her bed, but many children are still yet to come home. Tonight I pray for her Birth Family and her Foster Families that they are safe.

My heart is heavy with worry and sadness over what may be to come. I pray that all Koreans, whether North or South, are safe. I pray that all of the children are safe. I pray that peace, or at least continued armistice, will exist between these two countries. It is very difficult to watch the news, and I cannot imagine the fear in the hearts of Mothers and Fathers whose children are still living in South Korea, waiting to come home. Tonight I am saying a special prayer for those parents, their children, and those caring for the children at this time. It is impossible to describe the love I have for South Korea. Every time I look into my daughter's eyes I see a place and its people-her home. Yes, she is home with us now, but Korea will always be her first home. Her birth home. It's people will always feel a kinship for her and she will one day feel the same for them. Yes, she will become an American citizen sometime next year. She will be lucky enough to be able to be both Korean and American.

Lots of people ask us if we plan to adopt again. Of course, war could prevent us from adopting again from Korea. The threatened 2012 closure of the Korean adoption program could also prevent us from adopting. For now I say that I don't know what the future holds for our family, and that it is God's decision. And it is. But in my heart I feel that there is a child, a son, in South Korea waiting for us. He may not have been born....or he may have been. I can't explain my feelings nor do I wish to start the process again at this moment, but I have a feeling that one day we will return to Korea for our son.

Mamas and Daddies, as you wait to travel to Korea to bring your babies home, know that my prayers are with you. My prayers are with all Koreans on both sides of the border. May God grant strength and peace to these troubled nations and keep these babies safe until they are ready to come home.

Prayers.....
Emily

2 comments:

MandK said...

Emily...Thank you so much for the prayers. I try to not think about it because it makes me sick to my stomach. I am praying too for peace and safety for the children still there...not just mine...all of the people of Korea.

Leah said...

Thanks Em! I try not to think about the happenings in South Korea right now. It unimaginable to me! So glad Emma is home, safe and sound. Now if we could get the rest of those sweeties home! Peace! :)