Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Emma!

Today is my sweet Emma's First Birthday. Today she is officially
considered no longer an infant, but a toddler. In some ways she is
still very much a baby, but I see changes in her both physically and
in her personality that indicate her transition to toddlerhood. She
can stand on her own very well, and "walks" with the assistance of
furniture, boxes, laundry baskets, and other things she can push
around. She is getting taller and looks more child-like instead of
baby-like. And yes, she is starting to test her limits and mine. She
very clearly understands the word "no" but only occasionally chooses
to listen :) She knows her name, and she has started to look one of
us when she hears Mommy or Daddy.

I am thankful that we get to be with her on her First Birthday, and
all of her birthdays. Having a child home before their First Birthday
in international adoption is becoming somewhat rare. The babies are
matched at an older age, and it is taking longer and longer to get
them home. Even if we stay home all day in our PJ's and do
nothing....it is still a blessing to have her here.

Tonight we will let Emma wear her hanbok, the traditional costume used
to celebrate a child's first birthday. We will light a candle in honor
of her birthmother, who undoubtedly is thinking of Emma today. This
day one year ago, she made a painful but selfless sacrifice so that
our daughter could have a different life than her own. I will be
forever grateful to this woman who lives on the other side of the
world, for the gift of Emma. I may never meet her, but I hope to. Emma
may never meet her, but I hope she can if she wants to.

Sweet Emma, you are loved and celebrated by so many....most of all by
me, who is so blessed to be called your Mother. Happy First Birthday
sweetheart. Mommy loves you so very much.

--
Emily Nevarez

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Emma!!! Your gift is on the way :-) Can't wait to see a picture of you in your hanbok!

Shannon