Monday, October 4, 2010

One Month Ago....


...we were outbound crossing somewhere near the Russian border right now on our way to Seoul. I can't believe it has been one month. I can't believe we went, got our baby girl, came back, and now she is here. The first three weeks were so rough they barely register in my brain, but the past week to two weeks we have turned a corner. We are starting to see her sweet personality more every day, and she is truly a happy child (being worm free, well fed and well rested have LOTS to do with that...). She smiles at us, gives us big hugs, and even kisses every now and then. She is crying and fussing much less than before, and I even got a "cry-free" diaper change for my birthday gift!

I have felt a growing sense of normalcy...a new normalcy...in the past few days. I have started waking up at 7 or 8 in the morning, and she sleeps until 10, so I have 2-3 hours of time to spend doing whatever I need or want to do around the house. Whether it is getting ready for the day, drinking coffee, reading my Bible, or just sitting outside enjoying our newfound fall weather. That has helped me feel loads better, just having a little time to myself while she sleeps peacefully. She naps every afternoon for about 2 hours, which I devote to either a nap or whatever I didn't finish that morning. There is so much to be said for having a routine.

Today we got all dressed up and went out for Mommy's birthday!! I dressed us up super cute and girlie, and we had a great time eating pizza for lunch (well, she had baby food, but oh well..) and hitting Wal-Mart for some gifts for her birthday coming up! This afternoon my wonderful husband had the most gorgeous roses delivered to the house, and he gave me a matching necklace and ring set with her birthstone for my b-day gift :) We ate dinner as a new family of three....and now I'm off for a bubble bath ALL BY MYSELF!!! But, I'll probably think about Emma the whole time. Cause I'm starting to get that "Mom" feeling lately, and it feels pretty good!

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. They have truly carried me through one of the most difficult times of my life, one that I didn't think would be difficult. You are all so special to me and I thank God for you daily.

I leave you with pics of my girlie and me!!!










2 comments:

Tomi said...

So glad things are getting better. I think you & Emma look great together! I've been following along and thinking of you often. We just got home a few days ago and are going through some of the same (minus the worms, thank goodness!) and so it's great to read how things have improved for you over time. You're a fantastic mama!

Anonymous said...

She is just too cute! So nice to see you guys are doing better and everything is slowly falling into place. Enjoy every moment when they are little..it really does go by too quickly! By the way, what church do you guys go to in your area? I know that one of our sister churches , The Healing Place (in Baton Rouge), has a pretty active adoption group! They have get togethers fairly often from what I noted on their blog. Just thought I would let you know. Not sure how many other adoptive families you guys know!