Sunday, September 19, 2010

One week home....

I know I haven't finished updating about the rest of the trip. To be
honest, its pretty much a blur anyway. It felt like Javier and I had
been dropped into a reality show that was a cross between Survivor and
a show I swear I will create one day called "so you think you want to
have a baby". Anyway....I thought I would let you all know how our
first week home was, and how we are doing now. I know lots of you have
sent me emails and/or facebook messages. Please accept my apology for
still not having written back. And please know it may be a little
while longer before I do. Once we settle down more I will write
everyone back!

The first 48 hours at home were awful. There is no sugar-coating it.
She wouldn't sleep. She was in our bed with us since that was what she
was used to, so we weren't sleeping either. This time, the jet lag hit
me like a ton of bricks but Javier was spared. Every morning for the
first 5 days we were home I felt like dying. Emma would scream and cry
at the top of her lungs for most of the night, which left us all
sleepless, and she would rarely nap during the day. She was very
unhappy those first days home. Lots of people think that after going
through what we went through to bring her home, the paperwork, the
waiting, the travel, that it would be an instant bond and love at
first sight. Unfortunately for lots of parents, adoptive and birth
parents, it doesn't happen like that. It is so hard to bond to a child
who doesn't want you, doesn't sleep, and is terribly cranky. I had a
hard time with this when we came home. Things are definitely looking
up though, as she seems to be getting her internal clock reset, is
getting into a routine, and is trusting us more each day. Every day is
better than the day before.

We had our first post-placement visit on Friday with our social
worker. She thinks Emma is doing great, and gave us some great
pointers on caring for ourselves as well as caring for her. We have
not been taking very good care of ourselves but that is getting better
too. Minus the giant Reese peanut butter cup I just ate. It was
calling to me. What could I do?

So where do we stand today? Well, Emma slept through the night IN the
crib IN her room....and we got to sleep in our bed in our room. She
still screams bloody murder when we change her diaper, but she is
starting to like taking a bath. She and I go for a Mother-Daughter
bonding walk every afternoon, and she loves riding in the stroller.
She eats like a champ. She does not like being dressed or undressed.
She finally started to crawl around on the floor and play without
having to be in one of our arms. Which is good because my arms were
starting to get way muscular. I don't want to look like a body
builder. LOL. She will tolerate the pack and play for a little while
and still loves, loves, loves to be on our backs in the back carrier.
She is a great kiddo. I love her to pieces, and I know she is starting
to love us too.

Oh yeah. And Javier is sick today with a nasty respiratory virus. But
that's going to get better which means that today, as crappy as it has
been, might get better too. Hey, I got to update the blog today, so it
hasn't been all bad :)

Thanks for the prayers, thoughts, well-wishes and food. We will start
visiting and returning emails soon. :) we are all about ready to leave
the house!!!

--
Emily Nevarez

1 comment:

Brendon said...

I'm so glad everything is starting to come together! I remember my mom saying that there were certain types of clothes that I hated wearing. Plus I had an obnoxiously large head that I had to grow into (so shirts were a bother! HAHAHAH).

Anywho- take care of yourselves first!

You guys rock. The pics look beautiful!